Wednesday, May 25, 2011

And we've got lights

Hubby met with the electrician on site to hand over the light fittings we bought to be installed. There aren't too many as the majority of fittings are either fans or downlights supplied by Plantation Homes. It's a shame they won't install pendants (apparently they are too fiddly for them to bother with) so we will have to do that after handover. Luckily we've only got one- in the dining room.

We came back on site a few hours later to have our own walk through of the house and to see how the electrician was getting on. When I walked into the house today, I honestly thought- how in the world are they going to get this house absolutely spotless? There is so much mess, with garbage and dust everywhere. Don't believe me- here's a peek:


When I pointed out the mess, along with other little things I felt were not done properly, hubby reminds me that it is a construction site and all this will be cleared and cleaned before our practical completion inspection. And I know that even little paint issues I found in corners, here and there, will all be sorted out!

Speaking of paint.................here is the red feature in the kitchen:



What do you think folks? At first I had the same reaction as yesterday when I first glimpsed it through the tiny available space in the window- it's way too dark. But having walked back and forth, viewing it from different angles and watching the light play with the shadows, I have come to the conclusion that I really like it. It is not a show-stopping fire engine red, but a maroony red. For those who have been inside my current home, it is exactly the same shade of red as my feature wall in the family room.  Funny I didn't realise that when I first chose the colour at our colour selection. 

Most importantly, Hubby likes the colour too! Whew!!!The bright reds would have been too stark, according to him; this blends in better and even balances the earth tones we've got happening around the place.I guess I was nervous about the colour (still am a bit I admit) because we've got such dark cabinetry (laminex burnished wood) and we also want dark floorboards (coffee bamboo). Let's hope that once everything is in, the house won't appear dark and depressing!


Here is the red colour inside the niches-




Now imagine a tall, black vase with white orchids in the niche. The red is called Ruby Rose by Taubmans if anyone is interested. Now to give you a better idea of the main internal wall colours here it is:



It is really hard to tell from a photo I know, but this is perhaps the closest I can do. Besides, when there is the play of light on the colour, the shade shifts quite a bit. Some people have reacted strongly to the colours we have chosen, saying "hmm, they are bold colours for main walls". Admittedly, they are not your white or cream walls, but we didn't want that. And we definitely are not into trends. These colours make our hearts happy (okay, they make my heart happy). And I like to make my heart happy and sing!

Now I will stop with the commentary as I feel this posting is becoming a PhD on house-building; I will simply let you enjoy the photos. Have a good night/day friends!


butler's pantry with sink

Internal clear wooden door- this is one of the doors to the "library"




Internal wooden door- this is to to our master bedroom



Our alfresco with the resort style ceiling fan- love the look of it!


And my beloved round vanity bowls in the master ensuite- imagine red (or burnt orange or turquoise) accessories contrasted with the white tiles, white cabinetry, and charcoal grey vanity bench



No comments:

Post a Comment