Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Difficult choices

As I stated in my last post, I was going to dedicate this week to running around and getting quotes from a few places. So far I have sent our house plans to a few shutter companies for quotes. We are looking at getting aluminium shutters for our place as they not only look great (minimal, clean lines), but they provide that extra security we find important. When I first saw them in one of my home interiors magazines, I mentally told myself: If I build another house, I am getting these shutters. Since then my in-laws have had them installed in their farm as well as their new house and they love them. If you are not familiar with them, this is what they look like-




Photos can be found from Vincent Security

For more photos see http://www.guardianscreens.com.au/gallery.php. They will cost us a pretty penny, but I think in the long term, they will be worth it.

White seems to be a popular colour choice, but we think it will be too "stark" against our wam colour scheme. So we are probably going to go with a dark wood grain colour to tie it all in.

We also went to Carpet Court to check out their carpets and hubby, kids and I are torn between two styles. Hubby loves the Harlow range of New Zealand Wool carpet; he likes the idea that wool is natural, and that it has a reputation of aging gracefully and wearing better than synthetics. Originally I liked the Windswept Range of solution dyed nylon as it has a nice pattern and is quite plush to walk on. And solution dyed nylon also is fantastic for its colour retention as well as stain resistance. They are similar in price, so that is not an issue. It is more what we would prefer. I guess we have to make a choice soon so that we can lock it in. Kids like the Windswept range too for its plushness, so if we were to go with numbers that range would win. At the same time, hubby's views about the wool carpet are valid. I had a look online and I am leaning towards wool. Btw, they both look fantastic so it's really difficult to choose. Any ideas folks? Have you had either (wool or solution dyed nylon) and which one would you recommend?

I am also going to the Carpet Man tomorrow (in Salisbury) as a friend has highly recommended them. It doesn't hurt to see what else is out there and if they have the same ranges as Carpet Court, then to get another quote for price comparison. Any other carpet places we should look at before we make our choice friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment