Thursday, June 2, 2011

A minimal, intentional way of living

Hubby is away this weekend so it's time to clean and declutter to my heart's content. The decluttering is especially important as I don't want to bring anything that we don't NEED into our new space. My vow to myself is to try and take steps towards a more intentional way of living minimally.

Up until a few years ago, I lived very minimally- I had 1 pair of jeans and 5 other bottoms: skirts, pants included. I had about 10 tops and 2 jumpers and 1 jacket. I had 3 pairs of shoes. And now I am embarrass to say that I have more than enough clothes and shoes to outfit a village. It is time to go back to living minimally.

Now that doesn't mean that my family and I will do without material things. It just means that we will do away with things we DO NOT NEED.

And so this weekend, I am going to start with my closet. I do this all the time, but it seems like I still have so much stuff. I guess I am going to have to be absolutely ruthless and only keep the essentials. Deciding what is essential used to be easy, now it is not so straighforward...does anyone else have this problem?

Perhaps it's time to find inspiration from fellow bloggers- http://www.becomingminimalist.com/ and to reflect on these photos. 








My mom, who loves her clutter, feels that my house is already "empty!" She is going to freak out further when she finds out that I am getting rid of more STUFF. Perhaps what I need to tell her as well as remind myself is that having so much stuff does not make me happy. In fact, the clutter bogs me down and makes me anxious. The physical clutter I see around me becomes emotional clutter inside of me. It is time to start releasing that clutter. And a move in the next few months gives me that perfect nudge to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment