Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Desperately seeking the humble cushion

I have been having a bit of accessories withdrawal. Every room in our house is furnished, thank God, but it feels bare. I have attempted to make the lounge and family rooms cozier by putting up clocks and a frame and a few candles and vases I already had, but it still feels bare. Hubby doesn't understand why I feel that way and keeps reminding me that once we sell our old place, we can bring all the accessories from there. And he also reminds me that he thought I was trying to live minimally. True, true. I am trying to live minimally. I have decluttered my closet and shoes and even knick-knacks. I have given many, many things away and encouraged my kids to do the same. But I don't want my house to have that bare feeling....oh gosh am I starting to think like my mum? She had 9 kids and has no wall, corner empty (intentionally). But then she is a bit of an extreme.

I don't want to NOT live minimally, but I want my heart to sing when I enter a room in my house and until this morning I wasn't sure what was missing. Then "lightbulb moment"- I realise I have no cushions on my solid colour lounges! That's it- I need cushions. Wait until I share this with hubby- he is going to soooo happy (NOT). Like his dad and uncles, he doesn't like cushions; he thinks they are unnecessary and uncomfortable. So when he sits down on a lounge or chair, he tosses the cushion(s) on the ground, instead of moving it aside. But I need cushions to dress my very naked lounges. Hubby and other men out there may not understand but I don't care. The humble cushion makes me happy. As it does for stylist Karen Creith: http://www.stylemagazine.net.au/_blog/Interior_Styling/post/I_believe_cushions_have_magical_powers%E2%80%A6/

Ahh just look at these beauties-is your heart singing too?


I love the colours of the cushions in this photo- would go perfectly in my house!

At the moment- this is what my lounges look like- naked!


See what I mean? Absolutely naked!



And even with some other accessories, like the rug, wrought iron wall clock, lamp and my blue and white china, the lounge room still looks incomplete.



Look how warm these lounges are with the cushions on them:





Now I just have to wait for a sale to afford new cushions. Hmmmph.



4 comments:

  1. Yes, Nora ... you definitely definitely NEED cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora, Vast was having a cushions sale last Tuesday. Most going for $10 each.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fadz- shall check it out sometime this week if I can get there. I am so time poor atm! How are things with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also just received the Aldi catalogue - they've got Oriental-inspired cushions for $10 starting 11 August. Check it out.
    Mine's going frustratingly slow. Getting there, inshAllah.

    ReplyDelete