Monday, July 25, 2011

Art and stuff

Happy Monday everyone. I am hoping to get some work done on my PhD this morning so that I can make my way to IKEA for some much needed homewares retail therapy. I haven't been shopping in ages (daily trips to Bunnings Hardware does NOT count!) amid all this packing, unpacking business. Mind you, our library is full of unpacked boxes and will have to continue to wait; however, in the meantime hubby and I are forging ahead and attempting to make our house feel more warm and cozy.

On the weekend hubby constructed a frame for a canvas painting we bought in Syria. He saw this frame in al-Hamadiyah Bazaar in Damascus and really liked it; I encouraged him to buy it as we had been to that many art shops and could not find pieces we both liked. Funny a year ago, he couldn't be bothered with paintings or carpets. Now he enjoys going to handicraft markets to buy original works of arts and crafts. I can talk art with him now! Perhaps I can get him to take me to the theatre for a musical?

Anyhow here is the framed canvas of an old Damascene market. I love the colours, don't you?



And here it is on the wall below. The family room is going to be Arab inspired, with our silver serving tray table, Damascene canvas art and Allepan mother of pearl inlay clock (see next photo) next to the red lamp.



And on that long wall behind the sectional lounge, we will be showcasing photos hubby and I took on our trip to Damascus and Syria. About 6 of them.



After viewing over 1000 photos this weekend, I noticed that I have a fascination for doorways (opened and closed). Not sure how this relates to my pysche? Anyone care to analyse me? Anyhow some of those "doorway" photos are quite awesome, so I have decided that the theme for the showcased photos will be doorways. Now I just have to get them printed and framed (hence the Ikea trip). When I told hubby my intention he was quite excited about it too and pointed out that the Damascene canvas on our wall also has an open doorway with the Great Umayyad Mosque in the background. I didn't realise that until he pointed it out. It is definitely all coming together. So excited folks. Okay back to work on my PhD so that I can go frame shopping at Ikea. Enjoy your Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment